Below I will show you how you can start a blog TODAY in 20 minutes.
Being a blogger is on the best things you can create yourself on the internet. You can express yourself, tell your thoughts, and help others.
There are 4 main steps needed to get started with your blog.
- Choosing your domain name
- Get hosting for your new domain (We will be using Bluehost for this tutorial)
- Install WordPress
- Select your perfect theme
1. Choosing your Domain Name
One of the hardest parts you will face when you start a blog will be choosing your domain name. First thing, you will need to brainstorm what you would like your domain name to be. It should be relevant to your blog and what you plan on blogging about. It can be serious such as your name or a fun a catchy tagline. Try to pick a name that you would love to type over and over. If your name is taken, try changing up the spelling or adding more words in the name. One of the most important tips I can give you is to always use the .com version of you choose domain name. Why you may ask. Nowadays there are so many different extensions like .xyz, .net, .blog and more but .com are still considered to be the most authoritative.
Quick Tip: If you buy the 1 year of hosting in advance through Bluehost, you will get a free one year domain registration for free!
2. Get Hosting for your new Domain
Now that you have picked and secured your domain name it is now time to get website hosting this is what will get your domain name and website on the web. I recommended Bluehost to all of my clients, they are very reliable and have a 99.9% uptime. A great bonus that that you get a FREE domain when you purchase 1 year of hosting vs paying monthly.
With Bluehost you have 3 options:
- Basic Package: $2.95 a month (12 month package)
- Plus Package: $5.45 a month (12 month package)
- Prime Package: $2.95 a month (12 month package) Best Value!
Since you are now leaning how to start a blog you can start with the Basic option. Once you start getting a good amount of traffic then you can consider upgrading, until that happens save yourself some bucks and start with the cheapest plan.
If you are not too sure about purchasing an annual plan, I can tell you that is it absolutely the best option! In the best I’ve had monthly plans and next thing you know you miss a payment and your down is blog! Making you look completely unreliable in the eyes of the public, and let’s face it, that’s super embarrassing! Having an annual plan also gets you the best price and it pretty much on auto pilot for a year, set it and forget it!
I'm finally starting my blog on WordPress! Click To Tweet
3. Install WordPress
One of the reasons I recommend Bluehost is because of the one-click WordPress installation. In order to start blogging you need to follow the steps below:
- Once you are done signing up for Bluehost hosting you will get an email with the link to your CPANEL which is the backend to your hosting account. Click on the link to go to your CPANEL.
- Once you entered your details and logged into the CPANEL click on the “Mojo Marketplace” and click the One Install button.
- Look for the WordPress icon under Website and click on it then click on Start which will begin installation.
- Next you will select which domain you would like connected to the WordPress installation. Click the dropdown menu and select your domain name.
- Next click on Advanced Options and create a username and password for your blog. Make sure that when creating your username and password that is extremely unique. Steer clear from “admin” as the username. For extra security use letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Click on “Automatically create a new database for this installation”, which will create a new database where all of your pictures and blog post will be hosted.
- Finally, click INSTALL! Your credentials and link to your admin will be displayed.
4. Select your perfect theme
If you really want to give your blog some personality that will grab your reader’s attention and show them how awesome and exciting you are, then WordPress is exactly what you’ve been searching for. There are hundreds, no THOUSANDS of themes that will give your blog the look and feel you need. The best part is a lot of them are totally free. If you’re looking for a super high end theme they also have premium prestigious fancy themes for an affordable price too!
Since you are just beginning off I suggest starting off with a free theme in case blogging isn’t really for you. WordPress comes with themes uploaded in the system and all you have to do is install them. All preloaded themes can be found by clicking the appearance tab on the right side bar and going to themes you can browse and upload the one you like best
If you fall out of love with your chosen theme you can always add a new one by simply clicking add new which can be found right by themes. This will show you all of the free themes that are available. To narrow down your selection you can use key words or the advanced search to find the perfect theme. For example, if you are doing a blog about cars you can find an automotive theme. Next, all you have to do is click install and then activate and PRESTO your blog is open for business. Congrats on learning how to start a blog. Now that you started your blog you need to figure out how to make money blogging.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. Don’t worry, we will never share information about a product or service that we would not recommend. (Learn more here)